My-photoshop-colour-picker-looks-funny

My Photoshop Colour Picker Looks Funny! How Do I Fix It?

A question that comes up quite frequently in my Photoshop classes is “What’s wrong with my colour picker? I’m not getting the usual palette of colours.” Or words to that affect. By default the Photoshop colour picker looks like this:

ColourPicker-AllColours

However, you may find that one day, out of the blue, your colour picker looks more like this:

There is an easy fix. Inside the colour picker, try clicking on the radio buttons H, S, B, R, G, B and you’ll see how the colour picker changes.

To get back to the default Photoshop colour picker, simply click on H (which stands for Hue) you’ll find yourself with the old familiar picker.

Photoshop Default Colour Picker

39 comments

1. Leah says:

THANK YOU! This was driving me crazy all day ( and I have been using Photoshop extensively for 12 years!!!!) Gotta love the internet!

2. Kama says:

Awesome! Thanks. I was starting to go crazy…not because I didn’t think there was a way to fix it, but because I didn’t know how to ask HOW to fix it! 🙂

3. litsa says:

Couldn’t find the answer in Photoshop Help documentation. So glad I found your post! Thank you. Also, I wonder why they introduced the werid-o picker?

4. Chris says:

OMG… such an easy fix after 2 hours of Googling. Well… 45 min, maybe, but it felt like 2 hours!
    Thank you so much.

5. Marian says:

Thank you thank you thank you. This has been driving me crazy for A YEAR!!!!! I’ve been hating Cs6 because of this. It’s been like this since the day I installed. What a simple solution.
    You are amazing!

6. Mazi Bugie! says:

hahahaha! and i was feeling embarrassed to ask my design friends how to change it…only to get here via Google and see how many others had gotten stuck in the same situation! lol. Knowledge indeed is Power. Thanks Jennifer.

7. Fourthsheep says:

Most of the time, I personally use the color picker by selecting B.

Getting here was a happy (Google) accident. I’m now about to check out your iBooks for my kids!

8. August Tyan says:

thank you so muchhhh..
    so easy huh.. dammit i wasted my time to change back color picket,, 🙁

9. greta n. says:

thank you very much. It took me forever to figure this out! There isnt anything on adobe’s site that references this. I am very appreciative of this post.

Comments are closed.