I used to love Spirograph when I was a kid. I had two sets, the one that my older sisters had that was completely wrecked which I inherited, and the one I got from Santy. Mine was the set with four coloured pens and I used to look at the pictures on the cover of the massive set that had loads of colours and think “someday you will be mine”. Well I never got the bigger set but I have got a computer with millions of colours and I work in Illustrator so I think that’s a fair result.
Anyhoo, this is all leading somewhere, and that’s to a short Illustrator tutorial on how to make Spirograph type spirals using Illustrator.
1. Create a new document, I set mine up at 600 x 600 pixels
2. Set the Fill colour to empty and the Stroke colour to greeny-blue #04ACB5. Draw out a square using the Rectangle Shape tool, hold down Shift to ensure it’s a perfect square.
4. Repeat step 3 until all four corners are inverted like this:
5. Select the whole object and choose Object > Transform > Rotate. Set the Angle to 5 degrees and then click Copy. This leaves your original square in place and makes a duplicate and rotates by 5 degrees.
You should see something like this:
6. Now here’s the repetitive but fun part that makes the pattern. Instead of going back up to the menu and repeating the process, just use the shortcut Ctrl + D (win) Cmd + D (Mac), and keeping pressing it over and over.
7. And over and over and over, until you get a pattern that you like 🙂
You can make all kinds of Spirograph patterns using this exact method. All you need to do is start off with an interesting shape and then vary the angle of rotation.
In the example below, I started an ellipse in dark red, then copied and rotated at 10 degrees.
In this one I started with a ten pointed star, rotated the duplicate by 5 degrees and alternated the colours between purple and greeny-yellow.
There you have it. Did you have Spirograph as a child? Still miss it occasionally?
Latest posts by Jennifer Farley (see all)
- 26 Places of the World - May 16, 2017
- Beginner’s Guide To Cropping & The Crop Tool In Photoshop - April 23, 2017
- How To Whiten Teeth In Photoshop - April 11, 2017